About Sports Massage
Sports Massage is the manipulation, management and rehabilitation of the soft tissues of the body.
The techniques used by sports massage practitioners have been developed to ensure effective and efficient results are gained from each massage given. Some benefits of Sports Massage include:
- Improve circulation & lymphatic flow
- Assist in the removal of metabolic waste
- Increase or decrease muscle tone and length
- Remodel scar tissue if required
- Assist in mental preparation for sporting participation
To benefit from a sports massage you do not need to be an athlete. Sports massage is used by a wide range of clients. The benefits above can also help relieve many day to day problems experienced by people in all walks of life. By ensuring you use an FHT accredited practitioner, you ensure that you will be receiving an individually tailored, high quality massage. Depending on the type and timing of activity these benefits can be achieved for anyone.
If you are a sports performer, of any level, a sports specific massage can be beneficial at various stages of participation. For example:
- The conditioning / training phase
- Pre, inter and post competition
- Post travel
- Injury prevention and recovery
Regardless of your experiences in sport or exercise or whether you exercise socially or compete to an international level – sports massage could have something to offer you.
Members of the Federation Of Holistic Therapists will be able to identify anyone for whom sports massage would be ill-advised or detrimental to their short or long-term well being. They will assess each individual and provide the appropriate massage techniques, and advise on alternative action if required.
- We recommend at least an hour to gain full benefit
- A ½ hour, treatment is not strongly recommended but acceptable if you are very pushed for time. We would only have time to treat one specific area of the body.
- If you have complex or multiple issues, a longer treatment may be considered.